Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Couple Definitions/Explanantions.

Jane wants me to talk about senior project and what that means.  And I wanted to talk about some of my classes this semester now that I've been in them for about three weeks or so.

So senior project:  Essentially, this is a senior thesis (about 70 pages for history majors like myself) written on any topic in my field (the early modern Atlantic world) over the course of a year (the senior one, specifically.)  This is a super daunting task!  I will be starting it in the fall, which is terrifying, and also means that I have to have a topic picked out by the end of this semester.  I used to have a topic (see: blog left in the dust), but that idea is boring to me now.  I think I would like to write about women.  Or race relations?  Or historiography.  I guess I'll figure it out eventually.

On to my classes!  This semester I am taking The Early Modern Atlantic World with Casey King; Sex, Power, and Politics with Verity Smith; Fugitives, Exile, and Extradition with Tabetha Ewing; and Introduction to American Studies with Geoff Sanborn.  And of course my Historical Research Methods tutorial with Jane!  Yay Jane!  (Jane celebration blog, anyone?)

Casey King's class is right up my alley, obviously.  While I've taken a couple higher level history classes focusing on the Atlantic world, I needed something broad to make sure I knew the basics.  This class is working out pretty well so far, and Casey is my temporary adviser while I wait with baited breath for the return of Christian Crouch.  We've only focused on Columbus and Cortes so far, which is a bit outside of my interests - I seem to really like the 17th century English colonies.  But!  I am really into it, still, and the heavy use of primary sources in a lot of our readings is helping me think about history in a different way.

Verity Smith's class moves away from my concentration and towards my own personal passions - mainly, feminism.  You could say I'm a fan.  I don't really know how I can tie this to my senior thesis since we're starting our historical conversation on women with the first wave, but I'm sure I will find something to talk about nonetheless.

Tabetha Ewing's class is a bit of a mystery to me at the moment.  I will get back to you on that one.

Geoff Sanborn's class so far has taught me that I have no clue what falls under the heading of "American Studies."  I've mostly just read a lot about malls and big box stores and state fairs.  Oh, and tea.  I also went on a field trip to the mall.  You're jealous, I know.  This is another class which I am going to allow to lead me where it may.

And now it is late and I haven't even gotten around to talking about enclosed cosmography.  Ah, another day! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.